Arugula Salad with Barley, Pecans and Brie
with apple cider vinaigrette
Smarts: If you have leftover apple cider, simmer it with some cinnamon sticks for a warm after-dinner drink.
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Apple cider - 3/4 cup
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Barley, hulled - 3/4 cup
- Pecan halves - 1/3 cup
- Cheese, brie - 6 oz, cubed or sliced
- Apples, any variety - 1, sliced
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette and Marinade (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp + 1/3 cup
- Arugula - 8 oz (sub any mixed greens)
- Barley - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Cook for 45 to 55 minutes, until tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Shallots - Dice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Combine shallots, cider and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and simmer until reduced by about 1/3, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in olive oil and mustard. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pecans - You can leave them raw for the salad or, if you prefer you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until fragrant, ~4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brie / Apples - Prep as directed.
- If barley was cooked ahead and you would like it warm, reheat in the microwave.
- Toss barley with first portion of vinaigrette (reserve the rest of the vinaigrette to dress the salad).
- Assemble salads by setting out a bed of arugula and topping it with barley, pecans, apples and brie. Add second portion of vinaigrette until the salad is dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
This salad was absolutely delicious. Will definitely be making that again!0 Helpful
I ended up with too much barley and not enough dressing. But the flavors were delicious. I’d definitely make it again, playing with the recipe a bit.0 Helpful
Loved this salad! Can't wait to make again. Super simple.0 Helpful
Lovely! Added extra salt and chopped chicken bite sized before marinating. Toasted pecans with maple syrup and cayenne. Had shredded parm in the fridge so used that. Seemed so simple but was terrific.0 Helpful
delicious - a fav great also for summer maybe to add some fruit eg pear.0 Helpful
So delicious! Have already made it 3 times since!0 Helpful