Arugula Salad with Chicken, Pecans and Brie
with apple cider vinaigrette
Smarts: If you have leftover apple cider, simmer it with some cinnamon sticks for a warm after-dinner drink.
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Apple cider - 3/4 cup
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette and Marinade (ingredients listed separately) - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Pecan halves - 1/3 cup
- Cheese, brie - 6 oz, cubed or sliced
- Apples, any variety - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Arugula - 8 oz (sub any mixed greens)
- Shallots - Dice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette / marinade - Combine shallots, cider and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and simmer until reduced by about 1/3, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in olive oil and mustard. Season with some salt and pepper. Let cool completely before marinating chicken. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken- Halve chicken breasts. Combine with half the vinaigrette / marinade (reserve the other half) and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Pecans - You can leave them raw for the salad or, if you prefer you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until fragrant, ~4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brie / Apples - Prep as directed.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear on both sides until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and slice as soon as it is cool enough to handle.
- Assemble salads by setting out a bed of arugula and topping it with chicken, pecans, apples and brie. Add remaining half of apple cider vinaigrette until the salad is dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
This salad was absolutely delicious. Will definitely be making that again!0 Helpful
I ended up with too much barley and not enough dressing. But the flavors were delicious. I’d definitely make it again, playing with the recipe a bit.0 Helpful
Loved this salad! Can't wait to make again. Super simple.0 Helpful
Lovely! Added extra salt and chopped chicken bite sized before marinating. Toasted pecans with maple syrup and cayenne. Had shredded parm in the fridge so used that. Seemed so simple but was terrific.0 Helpful
delicious - a fav great also for summer maybe to add some fruit eg pear.0 Helpful
So delicious! Have already made it 3 times since!0 Helpful