Shrimp Lo Mein
with carrots / mushrooms / snow peas
Shrimp Lo Mein:
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Carrots - 8 oz , thinly sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Water - 6 Tbsp
- Soy sauce - 4 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Noodles, lo mein - 8 oz (sub spaghetti or linguini)
- Snow peas, fresh or frozen - 8 oz
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp. Rinse and pat dry. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine water, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, brown sugar and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (skip if using pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt and add noodles. Cook according to package instructions and then drain. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Snow peas - If using frozen, defrost. If using fresh, place in a microwave-save bowl, cover with a damp paper towel, and cook on high until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then shrimp to heated oil. Toss and saute until the outsides are golden and pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside (they will finish cooking in the sauce).
- Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add carrots and saute until starting to brown in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until carrots and mushrooms are tender (add a splash of water if the pan looks too dry), 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Add garlic, shrimp, snow peas and noodles to the wok and push everything to the side forming a donut in the middle. Give the sauce a stir and pour into the donut. When it starts to bubble and thicken, toss everything together. Continue tossing until shrimp is cooked through, ~1 minute more.
- Serve lo mein with lemon juice and cilantro on top. Add some hot sauce if you like spice. Enjoy!