Creamy Italian Potato Soup
with sun-dried tomatoes / zucchini / peas
Creamy Italian Potato Soup:
- Zucchini - 12 oz , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 6 , drained, rinsed and chopped
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Crusty bread (opt) - for serving
- Zucchini / Onions / Carrots / Sun-dried tomatoes - Prep as directed. Store zucchini in one container. Combine onions, carrots and sun-dried tomatoes in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes. If not cooking them right away, soak in water to prevent browning.
- Peas - Defrost peas.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and then onions, carrots and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add flour and spice mix, stirring for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, zucchini, potatoes and bay leaves to pot. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 13 to 17 minutes (depending on the size).
- Stir in cream, peas and vinegar. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between bowls. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.