Creamy Italian Potato Soup
with sun-dried tomatoes / zucchini / peas
- Zucchini - 12 oz, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 6, drained, rinsed and chopped
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Crusty bread (opt) - for serving
- Zucchini / Onions / Carrots / Sun-dried tomatoes - Prep as directed. Store zucchini in one container. Combine onions, carrots and sun-dried tomatoes in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes. If not cooking them right away, soak in water to prevent browning.
- Peas - Defrost peas.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and then onions, carrots and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add flour and spice mix, stirring for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, zucchini, potatoes and bay leaves to pot. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 13 to 17 minutes (depending on the size).
- Stir in cream, peas and vinegar. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between bowls. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
This may be my favorite Cook Smarts recipe ever! This soup was absolutely delicious! We used leftover Thanksgiving Turkey.0 Helpful
I took someone's recommendation and swapped the peas for chard. I only had milk on hand, but would try coconut milk next time, as well! My daughter does not like carrots, which is a bummer, since they are featured in almost every soup!0 Helpful
Made with the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. Basically a turkey pot pie soup. Great for cold days!0 Helpful
Delicious! Made it in the Instant Pot with sausage. Very easy to throw together and tastes even better the next day!0 Helpful
Good flavor! I did it in the instant pot with the soup button. I added a bag of frozen green beans as well and think that without that it wouldn’t have been hearty enough for us. Overall we enjoyed it!0 Helpful
Absolutely delicious! I took the lazy way and turned instructions 1 through 4 from the "Make" section and instead dumped everything into our Instant Pot and set it to "Soup." After that completed, I stirred in the cream and upon serving, topped with (in our case) turkey bacon. Superb!0 Helpful