Sesame Tofu Stir-fry
with brussels sprouts / green beans / lime scallion rice
A sweet and savory sauce gives Asian flavor to brussels sprouts, green beans and tofu in this quick stir-fry. Lime scallion rice gives the dish an added layer of color and flavor.
Smarts: Make a double batch of rice tonight and use the leftovers in Wednesday's enchiladas.
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, stems trimmed and halved
- Green beans - 12 oz, trimmed and sliced into 1" / 2.5cm pieces
- Cornstarch - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Green onions - 3 stalks, green and white parts chopped and combined
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2/3 cup
- Green onions - 1 stalk, green and white parts chopped and combined
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5cm cubes. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Rice - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions (for stir-fry sauce and rice) - Chop white and green parts and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix green onions (portion for the sauce) with soy sauce, stock, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil (portion for the sauce) and brown sugar. Whisk in cornstarch (portion for the sauce). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brussels sprouts / Green beans - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Toss tofu with cornstarch (portion for the stir-fry) and salt.
- Place a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then tofu. Saute until tofu is golden brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Set tofu aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then brussels sprouts and green beans to heated oil. Saute for 1 minute to start the vegetables browning. Add water and cover wok with a lid or foil. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes, adding more liquid if needed to keep the pan from drying out.
- Give the stir-fry sauce a stir and pour it over vegetables. Simmer until it starts to thicken, ~2 minutes. Stir in tofu.
- Reheat rice (remember to reserve half if doubled) if it was made ahead. Stir in green onions and toasted sesame oil (portions for the rice). Squeeze juice from some of the lime wedges over top and season with a pinch of salt.
- Serve stir-fry over rice with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Very good, and easy. Looks nice enough and tastes good enough to serve for company. Will be making this one again!0 Helpful
I added some leftover coconut milk to the rice, but otherwise made as per the recipe. It was delicious, will definitely make again!0 Helpful
I really liked this, but I would recommend using 1.5x the amount of sauce for added flavor.0 Helpful
Doubled sauce, threw in some sriracha and white miso as someone else suggested. Yum!0 Helpful
Wonderful vegetarian dish0 Helpful
After seeing other comments that the marinade/sauce was a little bland, I threw in some white miso, prepared grated ginger, and a shot of Sriracha.0 Helpful