Spaghetti Carbonara with Mushrooms
with a pear salad
Spaghetti carbonara isn't just for Italian restaurant menus. You'll be shocked at how easy it is to make this hearty Italian staple for an easy weeknight dinner. And with pear season upon us, this pear salad is a sweet way to enjoy this fruit with dinner.
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Pears - 1, sliced
- Mixed greens - 1/4 lb
- Blue cheese or gorgonzola (optional) - 2 oz
- Nuts of choice for salad - 1/4 cup
- Bacon - 8 strips, chopped
- Mushrooms - 1 lb, sliced
- Spaghetti - 3/4 lb
- Eggs - 2
- Cream or half and half - 1/2 cup
- Parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup, grated
- Sherry or marsala (optional) - 2 Tbsp ((These are Mediterranean cooking wines. If you can't find them, no big deal))
- Bacon or Pancetta / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk together balsamic, mustard, and oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. For more vinaigrette ideas, check out this video. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Whisk eggs in a bowl big enough to accommodate the cooked pasta. Add in cream or half and half and parmesan. You will transfer hot pasta straight into this bowl and the heat from the pasta cooks the eggs and forms the sauce.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt heavily (that water should taste like the ocean!) and add spaghetti. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Transfer hot pasta straight into egg mixture and toss to coat.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon or pancetta, and saute until browned, ~3 minutes. Add in mushrooms with marsala or sherry (if using) and a dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~ 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and then transfer to the bowl of pasta. Toss to mix.
- Slice pears. Toss vinaigrette together with greens, pears, blue cheese, and nuts of choice. Enjoy with your hot and creamy carbonara!
simple and everyone here liked it!0 Helpful
Made cassava flour noodles. Followed original recipe. Used 3/4 c pasta water to temper the eggs.0 Helpful
Just subscribed and tried to pick recipes base on the ingredients I had around.... I skipped the egg mix because I wouldn't have enough eggs for breakfast (really need to go shopping) so I didn't really make a carbonara sauce.. and I also added chicken because I had some chicken breast left over that I had to use from yesterday and I added some red wine vinegar to the sauté for a little more flavor and skipped on the salad (No pears)... Looking forward to taking advantage of the site next week when I use up what I have and making the recipe as recommended next time : )0 Helpful
I love carbonara and absolutely love the addition of mushrooms. I also added chopped Brussels sprouts for some greens and they added an earthy crunch to the dish. I used pancetta instead of bacon but not enough I was told! More next time. I also didn't reserve enough pasta water for my taste of consistency. Instead of cream I used better than sour cream Tofutti (and would also add more of this next time for more creaminess.). Flavor was great, though!0 Helpful
This recipe is definitely going into rotation! Both kids asked for THIRDS. I added a little pasta water to the egg mixture as other reviewers suggested and the sauce turned out perfect.0 Helpful
Used canned coconut milk instead of cream. So yummy!!0 Helpful