Roasted Chicken with Cauliflower and Turnips
and chimichurri sauce
- Cauliflower, medium - 1 head, chopped
- Turnips - 12 oz, peeled and chopped
- Chicken thighs, skin-on and bone-in - 4
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cilantro - 1/3 cup, chopped
- Parsley - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, drained and rinsed
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/3 cup
- Make chimichurri sauce - Double if making Thursday’s meal. If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, shallots, capers, vinegar, lime juice, salt and oil (portion for the chimichurri) in a blender or a food processor. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower / Turnips - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees. Adjust racks, so one is in the middle and one is on the top.
- Spread cauliflower and turnips out onto a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. Start by steaming vegetables for 8 minutes on the top rack.
- While vegetables are steaming, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil (portion for the chicken / veggies) and sear chicken on both sides for 3 minutes each. Remove from heat.
- Take veggies out of the oven and turn oven down to 450F / 232C degrees. Remove foil and toss veggies with second part of cooking oil (portion for the chicken / veggies). Grate ginger over top and stir to combine. Season with some salt. Divide veggies between two sheet pans. (You want to make sure they’re not crowded so they roast and caramelize correctly. )
- Pour beans over vegetables on one of the sheet pans. Place chicken on top of beans and vegetables. Roast for another 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F / 74C degrees.
- When chicken and veggies are done, squeeze lemon juice over top and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy chicken and vegetables with chimichurri on top (remember to reserve half if doubled).
I could put that chimichurri sauce on just about anything. So good! I used parsnips instead of turnips. This was such a tasty combo and I look forward to many more lunches of this dish!0 Helpful
Used some carrots because had just one turnip.0 Helpful
I added some leftover quinoa on the side. Very flavourful meal.0 Helpful
Chimichurri MAKES this dish. So good, would put it on anything!0 Helpful
absolutely ok but chimchurri matched prawns better0 Helpful
Chimichurri sauce is amazing; no turnips so I substituted for parsnip which was a great new veggie to try.0 Helpful