Swiss Chard and Bacon Scramble
with garlicky roasted mushrooms
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, stems and leaves separate
- Eggs - 8, whisked
- Bacon - 8 strips
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - for serving
- Mushrooms, any brown - 10 oz, sliced in half
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Toss mushrooms on a sheet pan with olive oil. Roast until mushrooms are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. In the last 2 minute of cooking, stir in the garlic and parsley.
- While mushrooms are roasting, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add bacon and fry until crisp on both sides, 5 to 8 minutes total. Set bacon on a paper towel lined plate and drain off all but about 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add onions, chard stems and some salt. Saute until onions and chard stems are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chard leaves and continue cooking until leaves cook down, ~2 minutes more. Set vegetables aside and return pan to heat.
- Add cooking oil to heated pan. Add eggs and cook, stirring constantly until eggs are cooked to your liking. When eggs are finished, remove pan from heat and stir in onions and chard. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Once mushrooms are done roasting, season with some salt and pepper.
- Crumble bacon over top of eggs. Enjoy roasted mushrooms on the side. Serve with some hot sauce if you'd like.
Yum! Made this in the Instant Pot -- sauteed the onions and rice (and accidentally added the thyme), decreased the veg broth to 3 c. based on comments and cooked for 6 mins and then forgot about it, so it did a natural release for about 20 mins. Rice was perfect. Sauteed everything else (including the mushrooms) and then served it on top of the risotto. Hubs loved it, didn't even need cheese.2 Helpful
Loved the ease of oven baked risotto, will make it that way again0 Helpful
Added a tbsp of butter and a splash of cream at the end. The risotto was so good! And super easy. Neither of us were crazy about the side. The flavour was yummy but the bean texture threw us a little. Will definitely make the risotto again!0 Helpful
Risotto took a bit longer (like 30 min) to cook and the chard was meh. Will try to sub with kale next time0 Helpful
Loved this!! Just made the risotto. I added a little more salt and pepper and spices and added a pat of butter and a splash of heavy cream when it was done. Next time I will salt the mushrooms before I add them. YUM!0 Helpful
I'd hoped it would be creamier. I'll add more butter, and maybe even cream, next time.0 Helpful
Needs tons of salt and pepper, but I also added garlic, onion powder, and Italian seasonings. Had to substitute kale because the store had no chard. Added a bit of chicken broth to that side dish as it cooked. Was really surprised how yummy it was, I was expecting the butter beans to be a weird addition. Would definitely make again!0 Helpful