Oven-Baked Risotto with Roasted Mushrooms
with garlicky chard and beans
Classic risotto requires a long time spent standing over the stovetop, but this oven-roasted version is virtually hands-off and gets nearly as smooth and creamy as the original. Golden roasted mushrooms and garlicky chard add flavor and texture to this recipe that was first featured in February 2015.
Oven-Baked Risotto with Roasted Mushrooms:
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Mushrooms, any brown - 10 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked Arborio - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
Garlicky Chard and Beans:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , stems and leaves chopped and separate
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Onions / Mushrooms / Parsley (if using) - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic / Chard - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Situate racks so that you can fit both a saute pan on the bottom rack and a sheet pan on the top rack.
- Heat an oven-safe pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil (for the risotto) and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in rice and saute until rice is lightly toasted and the pan is dry. Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Cover and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Toss mushrooms on a sheet pan with second part of oil (for the risotto) and thyme. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes (time so it’ll finish around the same time as the risotto).
- While risotto and mushrooms are cooking, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for the chard) and then chard stems to heated oil. Saute until tender, ~3 minutes. Fold in garlic, beans and chard leaves. Saute until leaves are softened. Finish with lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once mushrooms are done roasting, season with some salt and pepper and fold into the risotto. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you’re feeling indulgent you can stir in a tablespoon or two of butter. Grate parmesan cheese over top and sprinkle with parsley.
- Enjoy risotto with chard / beans on the side.