Chicken Curry Soup
with butternut squash
This vegetable and chicken soup is infused with a flavorful mix of spices and gets a creamy finish from coconut milk. Butternut squash gives the finished soup just enough natural sweetness to balance out the spice, but feel free to add extra curry paste if you prefer your soup spicy!
Chicken Curry Soup:
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Butternut squash - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , diced
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp , grated
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Curry paste, any color - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 2 1/2 cups
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup , sub stock
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , chopped
- Cilantro - 2 tsp , chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Onions / Butternut squash / Jalapenos / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Combine onions and butternut squash in one container. Store jalapenos, garlic and ginger in a second container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, garam masala, cumin and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chicken and saute until chicken is starting to cook on the outside, but not cooked all the way through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add butter and then onions and butternut squash. Saute until onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add curry paste, jalapenos, garlic and spice mix and saute for ~1 minute more.
- Pour stock, coconut milk and aminos over vegetables. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until butternut squash is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Note: Be sure to keep a close eye on the soup as it simmers. If it reaches a hard boil the chicken will turn tough, so reduce the heat if needed.)
- While soup simmers, chop tomatoes and cilantro. Combine and season with a pinch of salt.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top bowls with and tomato / cilantro mixture. Enjoy!