with potatoes / peas / daal / naan
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , diced
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp , grated
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Potatoes - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 1/2 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tamari - 2 Tbsp
- Lentils, red and uncooked - 1/2 cup (sub vacuum-packed, pre-cooked lentils)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , chopped
- Cilantro - 2 tsp , chopped
- Naan, gluten-free - 4 rounds , wedges (sub any gluten-free flatbread)
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Onions / Carrots / Jalapenos / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Combine onions and carrots in one container. Store jalapenos, garlic and ginger in a second container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, garam masala, cumin and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes. If not using the potatoes right away, soak in water to prevent browning.
- Peas - Defrost if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
- Naan - Slice into wedges.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter and then onions and carrots to butter. Saute until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add jalapenos, garlic and spice mix and saute for ~1 minute more.
- Pour stock and Tamari over vegetables. Add potatoes and lentils. Bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer until lentils and potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While stew simmers, chop tomatoes and cilantro. Combine and season with a pinch of salt.
- If you'd like the naan toasted, spread it on a sheet pan and toast it under the broiler just until warm.
- Return to stew and stir in peas. Continue cooking until heated through.
- Remove stew from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle stew into bowls. Top bowls with a spoonful of yogurt and tomato / cilantro mixture. Serve with naan wedges. Enjoy!