Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata
with smoky tomato soup
This vegetarian frittata is packed with color and flavor and makes great leftovers for breakfast or lunch. While the frittata cooks, make a quick tomato soup that develops layers of flavors in a short amount of time thanks to the addition of sun-dried tomatoes.
Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata:
- Broccoli florets, fresh or frozen - 10 oz
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Eggs - 6
- Milk - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, shredded cheddar - 4 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Smoky Tomato Soup:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 6
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Broccoli (if using fresh) / Shallots / Onions / Garlic / Parsley - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli - If using fresh, place it into a microwave-safe container, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave until tender, ~2 minutes. If using frozen, defrost in the microwave.
- Eggs - Beat eggs with milk, salt and pepper. Fold in cheese.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a 10.5” to 12” / 26 cm to 30 cm skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then shallots. Saute until shallots are tender, ~2 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in eggs. Stir until ingredients are all mixed through and then transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until eggs are set and inserted knife comes out cleanly.
- While frittata cooks, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and paprika. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add diced tomatoes (including liquid), sun-dried tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Let soup cool slightly and then puree with an immersion blender. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Slice frittata.
- Serve soup with parsley and yogurt on top. Enjoy with frittata. (If you have extra yogurt, it’s great on top of the frittata slices as well.)