Italian Sausage and Chard Soup
with apple spinach salad
Simple and packed with nutrients, this soup is great for the transition to cooler weather. The beans make it feel hearty, the sausage lends it a deep savory flavor and the chard cooks down enough that you barely realize you're eating something so healthy. This is a classic Cook Smarts soup that always gets great reviews from our community.
Italian Sausage and Chard Soup:
- Parsley - 6 sprigs , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, small - 1 , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
Apple and Spinach Salad:
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , diced
- Apples, any variety - 1 , sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for the soup) and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems and carrots to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in mushrooms and simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, make vinaigrette. Dice shallots and whisk with balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and cooking oil (portion for the salad). Season to taste as needed with some salt and pepper. Slice apples.
- Return to soup. Add in chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with some salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with parsley. Toss vinaigrette with sliced apples and baby spinach. Enjoy!