Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup
with parmesan garlic bread
Simple and packed with nutrients, this soup is great for the transition to cooler weather. The beans make it feel hearty, the sausage lends it a deep savory flavor and the chard cooks down enough that you barely realize you're eating something so healthy. This is a classic Cook Smarts soup that always gets great reviews from our community.
Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup:
- Parsley - 6 sprigs , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
Parmesan Garlic Bread:
- Parsley - 3 sprigs , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 Tbsp , grated
- Baguette or ciabatta - 8 oz
- Parsley (for bread and soup) / Garlic (for bread and soup) - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first. Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store onions, chard stems and mushrooms in one container. Store chard leaves separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Heat butter in microwave just until soft, 10 to 20 seconds. Mash garlic with butter, cheese and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and spread on garlic butter.
- Tomatoes - Drain tomatoes.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven 375F / 191C degrees.
- When oven is hot, place bread onto a sheet pan and bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Stir in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with some salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with parsley and some cheese if you'd like. Enjoy with garlic bread on the side.