Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup
with parmesan garlic bread
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
- Parsley - 3 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Baguette or ciabatta - 8 oz
- Parsley (for bread and soup) / Garlic (for bread and soup) - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first. Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store onions, chard stems and mushrooms in one container. Store chard leaves separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Heat butter in microwave just until soft, 10 to 20 seconds. Mash garlic with butter, cheese and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and spread on garlic butter.
- Tomatoes - Drain tomatoes.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven 375F / 191C degrees.
- When oven is hot, place bread onto a sheet pan and bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Stir in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with some salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with parsley and some cheese if you'd like. Enjoy with garlic bread on the side.
Delicious! I used kale instead of chard because that’s what I had. Still fantastic!0 Helpful
Super good low calorie filling meal. I didn’t make the garlic bread. You don’t really need it0 Helpful
First meal I made from Cook Smarts, and it was incredible. Have made it twice now and served for guests. Paired nicely with a home-made sourdough.0 Helpful
A hit!!0 Helpful
Makes more than 4 servings.0 Helpful
I always double the batch when I make this. I added some matchstick carrots usually also if I have them on hand. The flavor is delicious. Everyone I've shared it with loves it. I never thought to put ground sausage in a soup, but its yummy! One of my go-to soups here.0 Helpful