Vegetable and Lentil Skillet
with yogurt / naan
Vegetable and Lentil Skillet:
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , peeled and chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb , shredded
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 1 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed in the produce section)
- Cheese, gruyere - 4 oz (sub any white cheese)
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Naan or pita - 4 rounds , wedges
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/3 cup
- Onions / Sweet potatoes / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and sweet potatoes in one container. Store garlic in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brussels sprouts - Put the slicing disk in a food processor and shred sprouts (video is for carrots, but the method is the same; you can also thinly slice them by hand or with a mandolin). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions and sweet potatoes to heated oil. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add brussels sprouts, garlic and paprika and saute for 2 minutes more. Stir in stock, tomato paste and lentils and bring to a simmer. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Cover skillet with foil and transfer to oven. Bake until sweet potatoes are tender and sauce is thick, 15 to 18 minutes.
- While vegetables are baking, grate cheese and combine with panko and olive oil.
- After the initial bake time, remove vegetables from oven and remove foil. Top with cheese / panko.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler and broil just until the topping is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice naan or pita into wedges. If you’d like them warm, spread on a sheet pan and toast on a lower rack in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve vegetable skillet with naan / pita wedges and yogurt. Enjoy!