Vegetable and Lentil Skilletwith yogurt / naan
Unlike layered, baked gratins that are often served as a side dish, this short-cut skillet version can stand on its own. Lentils add substance and protein and gruyere cheese brings in a nutty flavor and creamy texture.
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled and chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, shredded
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 1 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed in the produce section)
- Cheese, gruyere - 4 oz (sub any white cheese)
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Naan or pita - 4 rounds, wedges
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/3 cup
- Onions / Sweet potatoes / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and sweet potatoes in one container. Store garlic in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brussels sprouts - Put the slicing disk in a food processor and shred sprouts (video is for carrots, but the method is the same; you can also thinly slice them by hand or with a mandolin). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions and sweet potatoes to heated oil. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add brussels sprouts, garlic and paprika and saute for 2 minutes more. Stir in stock, tomato paste and lentils and bring to a simmer. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Cover skillet with foil and transfer to oven. Bake until sweet potatoes are tender and sauce is thick, 15 to 18 minutes.
- While vegetables are baking, grate cheese and combine with panko and olive oil.
- After the initial bake time, remove vegetables from oven and remove foil. Top with cheese / panko.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler and broil just until the topping is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice naan or pita into wedges. If you’d like them warm, spread on a sheet pan and toast on a lower rack in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve vegetable skillet with naan / pita wedges and yogurt. Enjoy!
This meal was delicious! I used just 1tbsp of maple syrup for a subtle hint of sweet. I marinated the chops for 2 hours, they had lots of flavor. For the sprouts salad, I went with toasted walnuts, cranberries, and cooked chopped bacon, and it was soooo good. A Cooksmarts favorite!0 Helpful
That Brussel sprout salad will be a mainstay for us! Delicious and fast.0 Helpful
The salad was delicious!0 Helpful
The chops and the Brussels sprouts were both fantastic!0 Helpful
Awesome! Two small subs- pepitas for sunflower seeds and craisens for dates. Marinade was only 20 min. We used an Iowa chop.0 Helpful
The brussel sprouts were amazing! The flavour of the pork chops was good but not strong enough for me. Next time I would marinate for the full day.0 Helpful