Maple-Balsamic Pork Chops
with warm brussels sprouts salad
Maple-balsamic vinaigrette does double duty in tonight's meal - serving as a marinade for pork and a dressing for warm brussels sprouts salad.
Maple-Balsamic Pork Chops:
- Pork chops, boneless or bone-in - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette and Marinade:
- Maple syrup - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- Cheese, parmesan - 1 oz , grated
- Dates, pitted - 6 , sliced (sub dried cranberries)
- Chives - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb , shredded
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup (sub chopped pecans or walnuts)
- Make maple-balsamic vinaigrette and marinade - Whisk together maple syrup, vinegar, Dijon mustard, soy sauce and cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pork chops - Pour 2 Tbsp / 30 mL (for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing) of vinaigrette / marinade over pork (reserve remaining vinaigrette / marinade for salad) and turn to coat on all sides. Tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cheese / Dates / Chives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Brussels sprouts - Put the slicing disk in a food processor and shred sprouts (video is for carrots, but the method is the same; you can also thinly slice them by hand or with a mandolin). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Remove pork chops from marinade (discard marinade) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then place pork chops on heated oil. Sear on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F / 63C degrees.
- When pork is finished, let rest for ~5 minutes. Return skillet to heat.
- To heated skillet add olive oil and then brussels sprouts with some salt. Saute until brussels sprouts soften slightly (you want them to hold their shape and still have some crunch), 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer brussels sprouts to a mixing bowl and toss with remaining vinaigrette / marinade, dates, chives, cheese and sunflower seeds.
- Serve pork with brussels sprouts salad on the side. Enjoy!