Sauteed Fish Tacos with Creamy Cabbage
and lemon garlic broccoli
Creamy sauteed cabbage makes a perfect fall alternative to coleslaw, and they'll dress up these fish tacos with the perfect luscious crunch. Served with a side of shortcut microwaved broccoli, this meal is healthy and delicious.
Lemon & Garlic Broccoli:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Broccoli - 1 head , chopped
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
Sauteed Fish Tacos with Creamy Cabbage:
- Tilapia - 1 lb , sliced
- Green onions - 1 stalk , sliced
- Green cabbage - 1/2 head , sliced
- Thyme - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup ((you can also use creme fraiche))
- Lemon - 1 , juice of / segments
- Tortillas - 8 ((corn or flour will work))
- Tilapia - Rinse and dry fish and slice into 2" (5 cm) long / 1" (2.5 cm) thick pieces.
- For tacos: Green onions / Cabbage - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- For broccoli: Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spices - Mix together thyme and coriander.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add in 1 tablespoon butter (15 ml) + 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cooking oil and then green onions to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for ~1 minute and then add fish with a dash of salt plus half of spices. Saute for about 6 to 8 minutes, until golden. If the fish breaks up a bit, that's ok. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet and then set aside.
- Return skillet back to heat and add remaining tablespoon of oil. Add in cabbage with a dash of salt and the rest of the spices. Saute until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Finish it off with the sour cream and juice of half a lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While cabbage is cooking, heat up tortillas according to package instructions and start broccoli. Place broccoli, garlic, and butter in a microwave safe container or a glass Pyrex bowl. Add 1 tbs. (15 ml) of water and sprinkle with salt. Cover with a lid or wet paper towel and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. Cook until broccoli is tender but still crunchy. When done, add a squeeze of lemon juice and toss so that the melted butter coats it all.
- Have everyone assemble their tacos with cabbage and fish, and serve with lemon wedges and side of broccoli!