Black Pepper Tofu Stir-Fry
with bell peppers / broccoli / rice
Smarts: As written, the recipe is fairly mild, but feel free to increase the black pepper and / or red pepper flakes if you'd like more heat.
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, 1" / 2.5cm pieces
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Broccoli - 10 oz, florets
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Garlic - 4 cloves, sliced
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Black pepper - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.25cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions / Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers, onions and broccoli. Store garlic in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Whisk together garlic, soy sauce, water (portion for the sauce), vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, black pepper and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate tofu - Whisk cornstarch into stir-fry sauce. Combine with tofu. Let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then peppers, onions and broccoli to heated oil. Season with a pinch of salt and saute until vegetables are starting to brown on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Add water (portion for the stir-fry) and cover wok with a lid or foil. Steam vegetables until broccoli is tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Pour tofu and marinade over vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, ~1 minute.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice with lime wedges on the side. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Made the mashes potatoes the old fashioned way, but this meal hit the spot! Delicious.0 Helpful
Did Costco roasted potatoes and added Hawaiian ono seasoning. The broccoli was great0 Helpful
Broccoli was a hit. Steak timings way off for me. Did microwave “jacket potatoes” instead - easier and tasty!0 Helpful
Instructions for potatoes were overly complicated. Boiling potatoes made so much more sense.0 Helpful
Feels wrong to rate this because we changed so much, but it was delicious. Used tuna instead of steak, steamed the potatoes, and added miso-lime butter.0 Helpful
did not love the potatoes. broccoli was delish.0 Helpful