Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
with ground turkey / pepitas
Leftover bolognese from earlier in the week gets a totally new twist thanks to the addition of Southwestern spices and added vegetables. Serve the meat sauce over sweet potatoes for a quick, comforting cool-weather meal.
- Zucchini - 8 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turkey Bolognese (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Scrub potatoes and pierce with a fork. Place in a baking dish and pour 2 Tbsp / 30 ml of water in the dish. Cover with a wet paper towel and cook in microwave until tender, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once in the middle.
- While potatoes are in the microwave, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then zucchini and bell peppers to heated oil. Season with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, cumin and chili powder and saute until fragrant. Pour leftover turkey bolognese over top and cook until warmed through. Set aside.
- When potatoes are tender, slice in half and spread each half with butter. Spoon turkey mixture and pepitas over top. Enjoy!
This is a really really easy veggie meal to throw together. The filling could probably use a little more seasoning, but the sauteed zucchini was delish.0 Helpful
I enjoyed this. Needed to cook a while longer so the cornmeal mixture would harden up a bit. Broiled for a few minutes at the end. This made way more than 4 servings for my just me and my husband.0 Helpful
I really enjoyed it, and so did most of my kids. I gave it 3 stars instead of 4 because the recipe didn't adjust the cooking time for the larger portions. It took over an hour to bake for the 8 servings and my family was beyond hungry by the time it was finished.0 Helpful
I used almond milk and daiya cheddar instead of regular milk and cheese, and used regular butter, to help cut down on some dairy content. It was delicious! Will definitely make again!0 Helpful
Very original - I liked this and so did the kiddo.0 Helpful
I love this way to re-purpose extra meat sauce!0 Helpful