Tamale Piewith ground turkey / zucchini / yogurt
Hearty and comforting, tamale pie is a thoroughly American casserole that was inspired by Mexican tamales. Top it with a dollop of Greek yogurt for a creamy finish.
Smarts: Tamale pie was included in a meal plan in December 2015, but this version uses creamier topping that is naturally gluten-free and has cheddar cheese folded in.
- Zucchini - 8 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Eggs - 2, whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turkey Bolognese (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cornmeal, yellow - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, shredded cheddar - 3 oz
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then zucchini and bell peppers to heated oil. Season with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, corn, cumin and chili powder and saute until fragrant. Pour leftover turkey bolognese over top and cook until warmed through. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, salt and butter. When the butter is melted and the milk is warm to the touch (but not hot), stir in cornmeal. Cook, stirring constantly until thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove cornmeal mixture from heat and stir in eggs and cheese.
- Pour cornmeal topping over turkey and vegetables. Transfer to oven and bake until topping is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Enjoy tamale pie with yogurt on top.
This meal has 45 reviews
Kid approved. They loved the corn bread topping and tolerated the veggies. We all loved it!
Made it the suggested way and it was quite delicious! Next time I think I wouldn't use the leftover bolognese and just used Mexican seasoned turkey.
Added cheese and broiled for 5 mins. Really nice over the sweet potato!
Good tamale pie and so easy because the meat mixture was already made!
I will definitely make this again. It was perfect for a cold night.