with ground turkey / zucchini / yogurt
Hearty and comforting, tamale pie is a thoroughly American casserole that was inspired by Mexican tamales. Top it with a dollop of Greek yogurt for a creamy finish.
Smarts: Tamale pie was included in a meal plan in December 2015, but this version uses creamier topping that is naturally gluten-free and has cheddar cheese folded in.
- Zucchini - 8 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Eggs - 2, whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turkey Bolognese (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cornmeal, yellow - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, shredded cheddar - 3 oz
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then zucchini and bell peppers to heated oil. Season with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, corn, cumin and chili powder and saute until fragrant. Pour leftover turkey bolognese over top and cook until warmed through. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, salt and butter. When the butter is melted and the milk is warm to the touch (but not hot), stir in cornmeal. Cook, stirring constantly until thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove cornmeal mixture from heat and stir in eggs and cheese.
- Pour cornmeal topping over turkey and vegetables. Transfer to oven and bake until topping is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Enjoy tamale pie with yogurt on top.
Our cornbread topping was more polenta like. Maybe 20 minutes wasn't long enough. No worries, we loved it!0 Helpful
We loved this! My husband repeatedly remarked on how much he liked it.0 Helpful
So good! Favorited along with Bolognese.0 Helpful
So good and really easy with the bolognese already made!!! I added a diced jalapeño with the other veggies and doubled the cumin and chilli powder. I also broiled for a couple of minutes to get the cornbread a little browned. I’ll definitely be making this again.0 Helpful
This is delicious! I’m bringing it to a fall potluck. Thank you for a delicious recipe I can share!0 Helpful
Definitely one of my favorite dishes! This week has been one of the best weeks. Delicious and easy! Yum!!!0 Helpful