Tamale Piewith ground turkey / zucchini / yogurt
Hearty and comforting, tamale pie is a thoroughly American casserole that was inspired by Mexican tamales. Top it with a dollop of Greek yogurt for a creamy finish.
Smarts: Tamale pie was included in a meal plan in December 2015, but this version uses creamier topping that is naturally gluten-free and has cheddar cheese folded in.
- Zucchini - 8 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Eggs - 2, whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turkey Bolognese (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cornmeal, yellow - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, shredded cheddar - 3 oz
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then zucchini and bell peppers to heated oil. Season with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, corn, cumin and chili powder and saute until fragrant. Pour leftover turkey bolognese over top and cook until warmed through. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, salt and butter. When the butter is melted and the milk is warm to the touch (but not hot), stir in cornmeal. Cook, stirring constantly until thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove cornmeal mixture from heat and stir in eggs and cheese.
- Pour cornmeal topping over turkey and vegetables. Transfer to oven and bake until topping is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Enjoy tamale pie with yogurt on top.
This meal has 45 reviews
Absolutely loved this! With bigger portions I did have to cook this longer!
I used vegetarian crumbles instead of turkey in the Bolognese and it probably needs hot sauce but easy and delicious!
Good but the potatoes didn't cook well in the microwave! Not sure why
Tasted fine but making the quesadillas was complicated with the flipping and them not sticking together. probably didn't use enough cheese. I liked the crispy from the skillet but it would probably be easier to microwave next time.
Excellent! Made this in a Dutch oven so the topping needed extra time since it was ticket than if in a skillet. I'd use a large skillet next time.
My sweet potatoes took forever to cook. I followed the microwave instructions and then put them in the oven for a long time. Flavors were good.