Mushroom and White Bean Farroto
with green beans / yogurt
"Farroto" is a twist on risotto that uses whole grain farro instead of rice as a base. Simmering the farro with vegetables and stock results in a dish that has a creamy but more chewy texture than the original.
- Walnuts - 2 oz, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms - 12 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 2 tsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Farro, cooked (leftover from Monday) - 1 1/2 cups
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz, grated
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Walnuts / Carrots / Onions / Garlic / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and onions in one container. Store garlic in a second container. Keep walnuts and green beans separate. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not using pre-sliced). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast until golden brown (watch them closely so they don’t burn), ~2 minutes. Set nuts aside and return pan to heat.
- Add oil and then carrots and onions to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are golden brown, 5 minutes more.
- Add garlic and thyme leaves and continue to saute for 1 minute more.
- Pour wine and stock over vegetables and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute and then add farro and beans. Saute until farro is heated through and liquids are reduced, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While farroto reduces, grate cheese.
- Remove farroto from heat and stir in butter, cheese and lemon juice (portion for the farroto). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place green beans in a microwave safe container. Add 1 Tbsp / 15ml (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of water and sprinkle with some salt. Cover with a lid or damp paper towel and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on thickness of green beans.
- Squeeze lemon juice (portion for the green beans) over green beans and season them with some salt.
- Serve farroto with walnuts and yogurt for topping. Enjoy with green beans on the side.
We LOVED this! Such a different flavor, with the Thyme. I wouldn't change a thing.0 Helpful
I added a bit of red wine, good recipe!0 Helpful
This recipe was good, doubles easily, but nothing special. However, increased the red pepper flakes to 1/2 teaspoon and it added a just a little kick of heat; which was good. Omitted the pasta and added 1lb cremini mushrooms and garbanzo beans to bulk up the recipe. This was to bulk up the recipe in order for it be served as a one dish stew, rather then over pasta.0 Helpful
This recipe came out really good. The only thing that I'd add is that you could probably make it with less tomato sauce. Also, it was confusing to see that it would make a double batch of the sauce, but then only 2 servings of pasta0 Helpful
I substituted hamburger for the turkey because it was on sale. This was absolutely delicious!0 Helpful
Very good and easy meal! Used frozen chopped onion for the sauce.0 Helpful