Mushroom and White Bean Farroto
with green beans / yogurt
"Farroto" is a twist on risotto that uses whole grain farro instead of rice as a base. Simmering the farro with vegetables and stock results in a dish that has a creamy but more chewy texture than the original.
Mushroom and White Bean Farroto:
- Walnuts - 2 oz , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms - 12 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 2 tsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Farro, cooked (leftover from Monday) - 1 1/2 cups
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
Lemon Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Walnuts / Carrots / Onions / Garlic / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and onions in one container. Store garlic in a second container. Keep walnuts and green beans separate. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not using pre-sliced). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast until golden brown (watch them closely so they don’t burn), ~2 minutes. Set nuts aside and return pan to heat.
- Add oil and then carrots and onions to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are golden brown, 5 minutes more.
- Add garlic and thyme leaves and continue to saute for 1 minute more.
- Pour wine and stock over vegetables and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute and then add farro and beans. Saute until farro is heated through and liquids are reduced, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While farroto reduces, grate cheese.
- Remove farroto from heat and stir in butter, cheese and lemon juice (portion for the farroto). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place green beans in a microwave safe container. Add 1 Tbsp / 15ml (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of water and sprinkle with some salt. Cover with a lid or damp paper towel and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on thickness of green beans.
- Squeeze lemon juice (portion for the green beans) over green beans and season them with some salt.
- Serve farroto with walnuts and yogurt for topping. Enjoy with green beans on the side.