Turkey Bolognese with Zucchini Noodles
with green beans
Smarts: This recipe makes a double batch of bolognese. Reserve half to use in Thursday's meal or freeze it for another use.
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Turkey, ground - 2 lbs
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 2 tsp
- Tomato sauce - 4 cups
- Zucchini - 12 oz, turned into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or sliced into ribbons
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Turkey Bolognese (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Carrots / Onions / Garlic / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and onions in one container. Store garlic in a second container. Keep green beans separate. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine turkey with salt, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots and onions to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and thyme leaves and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add seasoned turkey to aromatics. Break up with a wooden spoon and brown for ~5 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce. Bring sauce to a simmer and then reduce heat and allow to continue cooking for ~10 minutes to let the flavors develop. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- While sauce simmers, heat a wok skillet over medium heat. Add oil (portion for the zucchini ) and zucchini with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, ~2 minutes for zucchini noodles and 4 minutes for zucchini slices.
- Place green beans in a microwave safe container. Add 1 Tbsp / 15ml (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of water and sprinkle with some salt. Cover with a lid or damp paper towel and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on thickness of green beans.
- Squeeze lemon juice over green beans and season them with some salt.
- Reserve half the bolognese for Thursday’s meal.
- Spoon remaining bolognese over zucchini noodles. Enjoy with green beans on the side.
We liked this more than expected, and I liked it even more when the leftovers were used in the tamale pie - both so yummy!1 Helpful
I have made this so many times, I have it memorized. Delicious0 Helpful
We LOVED this! Such a different flavor, with the Thyme. I wouldn't change a thing.0 Helpful
I added a bit of red wine, good recipe!0 Helpful
This recipe was good, doubles easily, but nothing special. However, increased the red pepper flakes to 1/2 teaspoon and it added a just a little kick of heat; which was good. Omitted the pasta and added 1lb cremini mushrooms and garbanzo beans to bulk up the recipe. This was to bulk up the recipe in order for it be served as a one dish stew, rather then over pasta.0 Helpful
This recipe came out really good. The only thing that I'd add is that you could probably make it with less tomato sauce. Also, it was confusing to see that it would make a double batch of the sauce, but then only 2 servings of pasta0 Helpful
I substituted hamburger for the turkey because it was on sale. This was absolutely delicious!0 Helpful