Open-faced Mushroom and Swiss Sandwiches
with roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes with capers
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 12 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Bread, gluten-free sandwich - 4 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, cubed
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Capers - 1 1/2 Tbsp, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Set out two sheet pans.
- On the first sheet pan, toss cauliflower, sweet potatoes, olive oil, paprika and some salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Place sandwich bread on the second sheet pan. Brush with cooking oil and then transfer to oven for 5 minutes to toast.
- While vegetables and bread cook, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then mushrooms to melted butter. Saute until mushrooms are very tender and golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning and some salt and saute for 1 minute more.
- When bread is golden brown, remove from oven and top with mushrooms and Swiss cheese. Return to oven and continue cooking until cheese is melted, 6 to 7 minutes more.
- When vegetables are tender, toss with parsley and capers.
- Serve sandwiches with roasted vegetables on the side. Enjoy!
Brilliant. Family favorite. Super easy.0 Helpful
Used the full package of puff pastry (17 oz instead of 10 oz), which made them a lot easier to fill sufficiently. They were pretty delicious and satisfying.0 Helpful
These did not come together easily for me. I think I have to practice with puff pasty more.0 Helpful
It was tasty but could not fit a lot of filling in and once puffed up felt like more pastry than filling.0 Helpful
Probably need a smidge more puff pastry.0 Helpful
Added sausage thanks to another reviewer's comment. Tripled amount of mushrooms. Doubled puff pastry. Tasted fantastic, but barely enough for a full meal. Loved the capers and parsley in the veggies!0 Helpful