Slow-Cooker Asian Chicken Noodle Soupwith carrots / shiitake mushrooms
Chicken noodle soup is a classic, but we couldn't resist playing with the flavors in this Asian-inspired variation. Ginger, toasted sesame oil and soy sauce flavor the broth which has plenty of time to develop in the slow cooker.
Smarts: Feel free to play with the noodles you use in this soup. Ramen noodles would be a fun, authentic option.
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Bok choy or baby bok choy - 8 oz, sliced
- Noodles, egg - 6 oz (sub fusili pasta)
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1 tsp
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 5 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/4 lbs
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Carrots / Onions / Garlic / Bok choy - Prep as directed. Combine carrots, onions and garlic in one container. Store bok choy separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Cook noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Slow-cook soup - Combine carrots, onions, garlic, stock, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and mushrooms in the bowl of a slow cooker. Grate ginger over top. Add chicken thighs. Slow cook until chicken is tender, 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high. (If you prefer to use the stovetop, season chicken in some oil in a Dutch oven. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks. Add carrots, onions, garlic and mushrooms and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add stock, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and ginger. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, ~25 minutes.)
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges.
- About 10 minutes before serving, remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with a knife and fork. Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir in bok choy. Continue cooking on high for 10 minutes to let the bok choy soften.
- When soup is finished, squeeze half the lime wedges over top. Taste and season with some more soy sauce or some salt.
- Divide noodles (remember to reserve half if doubled) between bowls. Ladle soup over top. Enjoy soup with lime wedges on the side. Add some hot sauce if you’d like more spice.
Kids loved it, it was SUPER fast to throw into the instant pot, 35 min in the IP.0 Helpful
Had it without noodles but noodles would be nice.0 Helpful
Delicious. Made it in the Dutch oven and it still turned out yummy.0 Helpful
Used crock pot, doubled the amount of ginger, chili garlic sauce and was a little heavy handed with the rice vinegar & sesame oil. This is sad to say but I rarely like anything I make....till now! I loved this soup!0 Helpful
Three adults couldn't choke down this meal. Wound up throwing it out. It had a funky taste that none of us were fans of.0 Helpful
Made this in the instant pot with my own stock that I made just prior. Process was probably more work but the resulting stock was delicious. Cooked a stewing hen from frozen covered in water in instant pot for 1 hr at high pressure. Did quick release. Removed the carcass, let it cool a bit before stripping the meat off and throwing all the bones back in with coriander seeds, whole peppercorns, salt, bay leaves, frozen thyme, whole dried sage leaves, 5 smashed cloves of garlic, a carrot, some celery, onion, ginger and star anise. Cooked this mix for 30 min at high pressure. While it was cooking I prepared the veggies as per the recipe. When time was up I did a quick release. Took large bits out with tongs, strained the rest of the stock. I got 9 + 5 cups stock, I will be freezing the 9 cups for later. Put all the prepared veggies, except for Bok Choy back in the instant pot with the 5 cups of stock and the soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil. Cooked for 1 min at high pressure, did quick release. Added Bok Choy, cooked for 1 min low pressure. While Bok Choy cooked, cooked ramen noodles. Did quick release. Portioned out noodles into 4 servings, diving soup on top. Yummy!0 Helpful