Curried Lentils with Rice
with Indian-style okra
This vegetarian meal is made of simple, humble ingredients that get a bold boost of flavor from Indian-inspired spices.
Smarts: Okra is a love-it or hate-it ingredient in our community of cooks. Roasting brings out a texture that may convert even those who think they don't like it, but feel free to use green beans or broccoli in its place.
- Water - 1 1/8 cup
- Rice, uncooked basmati - 3/4 cup
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 1 tsp, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 1/2 cups
- Stock, any type - 2 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved (sub green beans or broccoli florets)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cook rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Wednesday.) Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Ginger / Garlic / Limes - Prep as directed. Combine ginger and garlic. Store lime wedges separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Okra - Slice stems off okra and halve lengthwise.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Season with cumin and curry powder (portions for the okra) and some salt. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then onions and carrots to melted butter. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, cumin and curry powder (portions for the lentils). Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Stir in lentils and stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, until carrots are tender and lentils are creamy (add some more stock or water if the lentils start to look dry). Season with some salt.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve rice and lentils with yogurt on top. Enjoy okra on the side. Squeeze lime wedges over the entire dish.
Excellent. Easy to cook and great for leftovers.0 Helpful
Very good as commented below, make sure to cook the rice and the lentils first for time efficiency.0 Helpful
We grilled lamb chops to go with and it was amazing0 Helpful
Good. No changes.0 Helpful
I wish this had instructions/quanties/timing for uncooked lentils.0 Helpful
I used chickpeas instead of lentils because it is what I had on hand.0 Helpful