Pancetta and Leek frittata
with spinach and tart apple salad
Spinach and Tart Apple Salad:
- Apples, any tart, green-skinned variety - 1 , sliced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
Pancetta and Leek Frittata:
- Leeks - 2 , white parts chopped
- Pancetta - 4 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Eggs - 6 , whisked
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and then leeks with a sprinkle of salt to melted butter. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next, add in pancetta and saute until pancetta is starting to turn golden brown (the leeks will continue to cook down and may start browning / caramelizing - which will give them even more flavor), 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Pour in eggs. Stir until ingredients are all mixed through and then transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until eggs are set and inserted knife comes out cleanly.
- While frittata bakes, slice apples. Whisk together vinegar, mustard and honey. Add oil while whisking. Just before you are ready to serve toss apples, pecans and spinach with vinaigrette.
- Slice frittata and enjoy with salad on the side.