Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Pan Sauce
with rice / roasted delicata squash
Pork tenderloin is an impressive cut of meat to serve guests, but is also really easy to prepare on a weeknight with a combination of searing on the stovetop and roasting in the oven. This version is served with a sweet and tangy pan sauce made with dried cranberries. This is an updated version of a recipe we first featured in November 2015.
Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Pan Sauce:
- Rice, uncooked basmati - 3/4 cup
- Pork tenderloin - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Wine, red - 1/2 cup (look for something with fruit flavor profiles, or sub stock)
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Sugar, light brown - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
Roasted Delicata Squash:
- Squash, delicata - 1 lb , 1/2" / 1.3cm slices (sub acorn or butternut squash)
- Thyme - 4 sprigs
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Cook rice - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash - Rinse and dry squash. Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Cut into 1/2" / 1.3 slices. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pork tenderloin - Lightly salt and pepper, and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Line sheet pan with foil and brush with some cooking oil. Toss squash slices with thyme sprigs, olive oil and maple syrup. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread on the pan and roast, stirring halfway through, until tender, ~25 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then pork to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes each, until golden brown. Pour wine into skillet, cover loosely with foil, and bake in the oven for 16 to 20 minutes or until pork reaches 145F / 63C degrees.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board (leave cooking liquid in the skillet) and let rest, covered with foil, for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat under skillet to medium heat. Add butter and then flour to melted butter. Stir until no dry spots remain.
- Add stock, cranberries, brown sugar and mustard and whisk. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Slice pork. Serve pork over rice with pan sauce over top. Serve with squash on the side and enjoy! (Note: if you used delicata squash, the rind is tender enough to eat. If you used acorn squash as a substitute, the rind is tough and needs to be discarded.)