Oven Roasted Chicken Tenders
with cauliflower and sweet potato mash / baked tomatoes
This is our healthier paleo-friendly take on a classic combination - fried chicken and mashed potatoes. A bit of melted butter and a roast in the oven gives these seasoned chicken tenders a flavorful exterior without the need for frying. To lighten the mashed sweet potatoes served on the side, we're adding cauliflower florets which actually add a nice nutty flavor.
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken, boneless skinless tenders - 1 lb (sub boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced)
- Foil - for lining pan
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 1 tsp, leaves torn
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, halved
- Cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen - 12 oz
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, cubed
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Make chicken spice mix - Combine salt, garlic powder, paprika, oregano and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower / Potatoes / Thyme - Prep as directed. Store cauliflower and sweet potatoes in one container. Store thyme in another container. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Season chicken - Combine chicken and spice mix. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes - Place tomatoes stem-side up on a cutting board. With your knife parallel to the counter, slice tomatoes in half.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven heats, combine potatoes and cauliflower in a saucepan. Cover with water and season with some salt. Put the lid on the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. When water begins to boil, reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer until both potatoes and cauliflower are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a sheet pan with foil. Place butter on top of foil and transfer sheet pan to heated oven. Leave sheet pan in the oven until the butter is fully melted, ~3 minutes (keep an eye on it to avoid burning).
- Remove pan from the oven and swirl the butter around so it coats the pan. Add chicken in a single layer.
- Bake until chicken is golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes. Flip chicken and continue baking until chicken is cooked through ~5 minutes more.
- Once chicken is baking, place tomatoes in a small baking dish, cut-side up. Top tomatoes with a pinch of salt and thyme leaves. Transfer to oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Return to potatoes and cauliflower. Once they are tender, strain off water and add butter. Mash with a fork (or use an immersion blender to get it really smooth and creamy). Season with some salt.
- Serve chicken with potato / cauliflower mash and roasted tomatoes. Enjoy!
The butter really made them soggy and I had to broil them to get it crispy. All in all we enjoyed them and will make them again. I didn't make the sides, just the chicken.0 Helpful
Rookie mistake - I crowded the pan, won’t do that next time! Mash was great!0 Helpful
I make the chicken tenders ALL the time!0 Helpful
Loved all parts of it!0 Helpful
Loved this! Made the honey mustard sauce from previous recipes! Also got pre-riced cauliflower that saved some time and money!0 Helpful
Chicken tenders easy and delicious0 Helpful