Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
with guacamole / chips
Stuffed and roasted zucchini (sometimes we call them zucchini "boats") are fun enough that kids will love them and packed with enough good stuff that grown-ups can feel good about eating them. This version is inspired by enchiladas and, just like the inspiration, is finished with cheese and sour cream.
Southwestern Spice Mix:
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini:
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, white button - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Zucchini, medium - 4 (~½ lb / 227g per zucchini)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 2 oz +2 oz
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/2 cup
Guacamole and Chips:
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Make southwestern spice mix - (Skip if spice mix was made ahead for Monday.) Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Corn - Defrost in the microwave
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- While oven heats, line a sheet pan with foil or brush with some cooking oil. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and place them cut-side up on the pan. Use a spoon to scoop out the center of each zucchini half, leaving ~1/2” / 1.25cm thick shell on all sides (discard the center you scoop out or save it for another purpose). Cover sheet pan tightly with foil.
- Transfer pan to heated oven and bake until zucchini halves are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While zucchini roasts, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and then mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are starting to turn golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onions to mushrooms. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, corn and southwestern spice mix and saute for 1 minute more. Pour crushed tomatoes over top and bring to a simmer.
- Remove zucchini halves from oven and turn on the oven’s broiler.
- Fill zucchini halves with first portion of cheese and then mushroom / tomato sauce mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, ~3 minutes.
- While zucchini finishes under the broiler, mash avocados and combine with shallots, cilantro, lime juice and hot sauce. Taste and season with some salt and more lime juice or hot sauce if you’d like.
- Serve zucchini with sour cream for topping. Enjoy chips and guacamole on the side.