Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
with cheese / sour cream
Stuffed and roasted zucchini (sometimes we call them zucchini "boats") are fun enough that kids will love them and packed with enough good stuff that grown-ups can feel good about eating them. This version is inspired by chicken enchiladas and, just like the inspiration, is finished with cheese and sour cream.
Southwestern Spice Mix:
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini:
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2 , meat shredded
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Zucchini, medium - 4 (~½ lb / 227g per zucchini)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 2 oz +2 oz
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Rotisserie chicken - (Skip if you already shredded the meat for Wednesday night). Take meat off the bone and shred or chop. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make southwestern spice mix - (Skip if spice mix was made ahead for Monday.) Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - Defrost in the microwave
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- While oven heats, line a sheet pan with foil or brush with some cooking oil. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and place them cut-side up on the pan. Use a spoon to scoop out the center of each zucchini half, leaving ~1/2” / 1.25cm thick shell on all sides (discard the center you scoop out or save it for another purpose). Cover sheet pan tightly with foil.
- Transfer pan to heated oven and bake until zucchini halves are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While zucchini roasts, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and then onions. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, corn and southwestern spice mix and saute for 1 minute more. Pour crushed tomatoes over top and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in chicken.
- Remove zucchini halves from oven and turn on the oven’s broiler.
- Fill zucchini with first portion of cheese. Top with chicken / tomato sauce mixture and then finish with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, ~3 minutes.
- Serve zucchini with sour cream for topping. Enjoy!