Mediterranean Wraps with Halloumiwith bell peppers / tzatziki
Halloumi cheese (a firm cheese that can hold up to high heat) and creamy tzatziki yogurt sauce give these shawarma-inspired wraps a unique vegetarian twist. A quick extra step to toast the cheese and vegetables in spices makes these so flavorful that you'll think twice before visiting another gyro stand!
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Onions, red - 1/2, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 2, diced
- Cheese, Halloumi - 8 oz, 1" / 2.5cm cubes (sub feta)
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 8 oz, halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, sliced
- Flat breads or pitas - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Mint, fresh (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Lemons / Red onions / Bell peppers / Mint - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make tzatziki - Dice cucumbers and chop garlic. Combine cucumbers, garlic, mint and yogurt. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Halloumi - Slice into 1” /2.5cm cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Toast flat breads or pitas on a sheet pan for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add oil and then red onions to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add halloumi and saute until halloumi is starting to turn golden brown in spots, 4 to 5 minutes. (Note: if using feta as a sub, skip this step and add feta with vinegar in Make Step #5.)
- Add red peppers with cumin, paprika and oregano. Saute for 4 to 6 minutes, until peppers are slightly softened.
- Add vinegar and saute for another 30 seconds and remove from heat. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble wraps with halloumi and red peppers, tzatziki, tomatoes, romaine and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Drizzle remainder of tzatziki over tomatoes and romaine that cannot fit into wraps and enjoy as a side salad!
It didn’t have as much flavor as I hoped. I don’t think we’ll make it again.0 Helpful
My 4-year-old said this meal was “super yummy,” and my husband and I enjoyed it as well. My nearly 3-year-old also ate a descent amount, so it’s a win for our family!0 Helpful
Even my kids were excited about this and it could not have been easier.0 Helpful
*** for Vegetarian version also0 Helpful
Very tasty! The tzatziki sauce was surprisingly simple and tastes just like at a restaurant. I added garlic powder instead of chopped garlic however bc I love a strong garlic flavor. The seasoning on the meat was also delicious! Everything was very easy and quick to prepare. I just added a salad on the side - it definitely needs a side dish of some sort if you make it for a dinner.0 Helpful