Rotisserie Chicken Shawarma Lettuce Wrapswith cucumber salad
Rotisserie chicken and a tart cucumber salad served on the side earned these shawarma-inspired lettuce wraps high marks when they were first featured in a meal plan in August 2016. A quick extra step to toast the shredded chicken in spices gives these so much flavor that you won't even miss the pita bread.
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, meat shredded
- Onions, red - 1/2, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 2, diced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 8 oz, halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, leaves peeled
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mint, fresh (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cucumbers - 1 lb, diced
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Rotisserie chicken - Take meat off the bone and shred or chop. If making Thursday night’s meal, shred chicken for that night as well and set it aside. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Garlic / Mint / Red onions / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce / Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Make cucumber salad - Mix together cucumber, mint, garlic cloves, red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add oil and then red onions to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add red peppers with cumin, paprika and oregano. Saute for 4 to 6 minutes, until peppers are slightly softened.
- Add chicken (remember to reserve half if you shredded meat for Thursday night ahead). Saute for another 2 minutes, just to warm chicken up.
- Add vinegar and saute for another 30 seconds and remove from heat. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Spoon chicken and red peppers into lettuce leaves. Top with tomatoes and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Enjoy with cucumber salad on the side.
It didn’t have as much flavor as I hoped. I don’t think we’ll make it again.0 Helpful
My 4-year-old said this meal was “super yummy,” and my husband and I enjoyed it as well. My nearly 3-year-old also ate a descent amount, so it’s a win for our family!0 Helpful
Even my kids were excited about this and it could not have been easier.0 Helpful
*** for Vegetarian version also0 Helpful
Very tasty! The tzatziki sauce was surprisingly simple and tastes just like at a restaurant. I added garlic powder instead of chopped garlic however bc I love a strong garlic flavor. The seasoning on the meat was also delicious! Everything was very easy and quick to prepare. I just added a salad on the side - it definitely needs a side dish of some sort if you make it for a dinner.0 Helpful