Rotisserie Chicken Shawarma Wrapswith tzatziki
Rotisserie chicken and creamy tzatziki yogurt sauce earned these wraps high marks when they were first featured in a meal plan in August 2016. A quick extra step to toast the shredded chicken in spices makes these so authentic that you'll think twice before visiting another gyro stand!
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, meat shredded
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Onions, red - 1/2, sliced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 8 oz, halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, sliced
- Flat breads or pitas - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Mint, fresh (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Rotisserie chicken - Take meat off the bone and shred or chop. If making Thursday night’s meal, shred chicken for that night as well and set it aside. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Lemons / Red onions / Mint - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make tzatziki - Dice cucumbers and chop garlic. Combine cucumbers, garlic, mint and yogurt. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Toast flat breads or pitas on a sheet pan for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add oil and then red onions to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add chicken (remember to reserve half if you shredded meat for Thursday night ahead) with cumin, paprika and oregano. Saute for another 2 minutes, just to warm chicken up.
- Add vinegar and saute for another 30 seconds and remove from heat. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble wraps with chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes, lettuce and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Drizzle remainder of tzatziki over tomatoes and romaine that cannot fit into wraps and enjoy as a side salad!
Would recommend cutting down on the red bell pepper and using some shallots. Also, more vinegar is needed to deglaze the pan and make it super tangy like traditional shwarma.0 Helpful
Skipped rotisserie chicken and just slow cooked 1 lb of chicken all day. The tzatziki needed feta because it was pretty bland. Had potential but wasn’t our favorite.0 Helpful
We actually made these into like flatbread pizzas using queso fresco and they were delicious. I will definitely make them again, as they were easy to make. Using Naan for the flatbread made it extra delicious. Wouldn't have thought to make this on my own!0 Helpful
It was quick and easy, but I didn't love the chicken flavor.0 Helpful
I love Halloumi0 Helpful
So easy!0 Helpful