Rotisserie Chicken Shawarma Wraps
Rotisserie chicken and creamy tzatziki yogurt sauce earned these wraps high marks when they were first featured in a meal plan in August 2016. A quick extra step to toast the shredded chicken in spices makes these so authentic that you'll think twice before visiting another gyro stand!
Rotisserie Chicken Shawarma Wraps:
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2 , meat shredded
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Onions, red - 1/2 , sliced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 8 oz , halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart , sliced
- Flat breads or pitas - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Mint, fresh (opt) - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Rotisserie chicken - Take meat off the bone and shred or chop. If making Thursday night’s meal, shred chicken for that night as well and set it aside. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Lemons / Red onions / Mint - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make tzatziki - Dice cucumbers and chop garlic. Combine cucumbers, garlic, mint and yogurt. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Toast flat breads or pitas on a sheet pan for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add oil and then red onions to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add chicken (remember to reserve half if you shredded meat for Thursday night ahead) with cumin, paprika and oregano. Saute for another 2 minutes, just to warm chicken up.
- Add vinegar and saute for another 30 seconds and remove from heat. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble wraps with chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes, lettuce and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Drizzle remainder of tzatziki over tomatoes and romaine that cannot fit into wraps and enjoy as a side salad!