Spanish Rice Stew
with summer squash / baguette
Inspired by the flavors of the popular Spanish rice dish - paella - this vegetarian stew is unique and hearty enough that even meat-eaters will enjoy it. A swirl of yogurt and crusty bread for dipping add a little something extra.
Spanish Rice Stew:
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Dried saffron (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Summer squash, yellow - 12 oz , diced
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Wine, white - 1 cup (any dry variety; sub stock)
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Lemon juice - 3 tsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 1 1/2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Baguette, small (opt) - 1
- Make spice mix - Combine salt, paprika, oregano, saffron and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Bell peppers / Onions / Carrots / Squash - Prep as directed. Store garlic in one container. Combine bell peppers, onions and carrots in another container. Store squash in a third container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peas - Defrost if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add oil and then bell peppers, onions and carrots. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add squash, garlic and spice mix and saute for 1 minute more.
- Pour stock, wine and tomatoes (including liquid) over vegetables. Add bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Add peas to the soup. Simmer until peas are heated through, ~2 minutes more.
- While soup finishes, chop cilantro.
- Turn off the heat under the soup and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and some more lemon juice if you’d like.
- Divide rice between bowls. Ladle soup over top. Serve with cilantro, yogurt and bread on the side.