with rice / shrimp / mussels
Paella is a popular Spanish rice dish made with fresh seafood, but it can be time-consuming to make. This recipe uses all those great Spanish flavors (and the seafood!) and folds them into this weeknight friendly stew that can be made in just a fraction of the time.
Smarts: Mussels are quick-cooking shellfish, but feel free to skip them if you're looking to simplify (or use pre-cooked sausage as a substitute).
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 3/4 lb
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Dried saffron (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Mussels, cleaned and debearded (opt) - 3/4 lb (sub pre-cooked or smoked sausage, sliced)
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Wine, white - 1 cup (any dry variety; sub stock)
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Lemon juice - 3 tsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 1 1/2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Make paella spice mix - Combine salt, paprika, oregano, saffron and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Bell peppers / Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed. Store garlic in one container. Combine bell peppers, onions and carrots in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mussels - Clean and debeard mussels (this is usually done by your fishmonger, but in the rare case that yours did not come debearded, here’s a demo from The Kitchn). Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. If using sausage as a substitute, slice sausage. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Peas - Defrost if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
- Heat a Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add oil and then bell peppers, onions and carrots. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and spice mix and saute for 1 minute more.
- Pour stock, wine and tomatoes (including liquid) over vegetables. Add bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Add mussels (or sausage) to soup and cover. Cook, covered until mussels have opened up, 5 to 6 minutes. (If any mussels don’t open, simply discard them.)
- Add shrimp and peas to the soup. Put the lid back on and continue cooking until shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- While soup finishes, chop cilantro.
- Turn off the heat under the soup and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and some more lemon juice if you’d like.
- Divide rice between bowls. Ladle paella soup over top. Serve with cilantro and yogurt.
Used big shrimp and scallops. Wonderful and easy.0 Helpful
Delicious! But definitely a soup, not a stew. Made with smoked sausage not muscles.0 Helpful
Easy, nice different flavor.0 Helpful
Made with chorizo instead of mussels. Super yummy and easy to make. Toddlers loved it.0 Helpful
next time, i would throw in some veggie sausage at the end.0 Helpful
Substituted firm white fish for mussels, loved the spices and flavor0 Helpful