Paella Stewwith rice / shrimp / mussels
Paella is a popular Spanish rice dish made with fresh seafood, but it can be time-consuming to make. This recipe uses all those great Spanish flavors (and the seafood!) and folds them into this weeknight friendly stew that can be made in just a fraction of the time.
Smarts: Mussels are quick-cooking shellfish, but feel free to skip them if you're looking to simplify (or use pre-cooked sausage as a substitute).
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 3/4 lb
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Dried saffron (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Mussels, cleaned and debearded (opt) - 3/4 lb (sub pre-cooked or smoked sausage, sliced)
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Wine, white - 1 cup (any dry variety; sub stock)
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Lemon juice - 3 tsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 1 1/2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Make paella spice mix - Combine salt, paprika, oregano, saffron and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Bell peppers / Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed. Store garlic in one container. Combine bell peppers, onions and carrots in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mussels - Clean and debeard mussels (this is usually done by your fishmonger, but in the rare case that yours did not come debearded, here’s a demo from The Kitchn). Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. If using sausage as a substitute, slice sausage. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Peas - Defrost if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
- Heat a Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add oil and then bell peppers, onions and carrots. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and spice mix and saute for 1 minute more.
- Pour stock, wine and tomatoes (including liquid) over vegetables. Add bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Add mussels (or sausage) to soup and cover. Cook, covered until mussels have opened up, 5 to 6 minutes. (If any mussels don’t open, simply discard them.)
- Add shrimp and peas to the soup. Put the lid back on and continue cooking until shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- While soup finishes, chop cilantro.
- Turn off the heat under the soup and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and some more lemon juice if you’d like.
- Divide rice between bowls. Ladle paella soup over top. Serve with cilantro and yogurt.
This meal has 27 reviews
Delicious! But definitely a soup, not a stew. Made with smoked sausage not muscles.
Easy, nice different flavor.
Made with chorizo instead of mussels. Super yummy and easy to make. Toddlers loved it.
next time, i would throw in some veggie sausage at the end.
Substituted firm white fish for mussels, loved the spices and flavor
Didn't use mussels. Also didn't have peppers or cilantro. Should try fresh shrimp instead of frozen.