Southwestern Spiced Chickpea Burrito Bowls
with pico de gallo
Smarts: Homemade pico de gallo adds a fresh element to these bowls, but feel free to use store-bought salsa or pico de gallo (from the produce section) to save time.
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 1/2 cups
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, sliced
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 4 oz
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips (opt) - ~4 cups
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make southwestern spice mix - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Limes (for the burrito bowls) / Corn - Prep as directed. Defrost corn in the microwave.
- Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan over medium heat. Add oil and then corn and both types of beans. Add spice mix (reserve half if doubled) and saute until beans are heated through and spices are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Finish the pico de gallo by stirring together tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos, cilantro and lime juice (portion for the pico). Season with some salt.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to reserve half).
- Set out all of the burrito bowl ingredients - bean / corn mixture, rice, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and lime wedges. Let everyone assemble their bowls at the table. Enjoy!
Served to a crowd. It was tasty and could be fixed just the way everyone wanted. Included some Fritos for nonpaleo guests.0 Helpful
Looked good and tasted good and was not hard to make. We had a tiny bit of cooked ground beef left, so including that was good.0 Helpful
Added ground turkey taco meat for added protein. Otherwise, great! Especially liked the pico.0 Helpful
Healthy Chipotle meal. Love that I can make my own pico de gallo with out raw onions (just sauteed them) and sans jalapeno.0 Helpful
Used the other half of the rotisserie chicken for this instead of chickpeas. Great spice mix.0 Helpful
Kids liked being able to assemble themselves.0 Helpful