Chicken Fajita Salad
with pico de gallo
Chicken fajita salads are a great way to enjoy all the flavor of fajitas in a paleo-friendly bowl. Use a quick spice mix to infuse chicken, peppers and onions with flavor.
Smarts: Homemade pico de gallo adds a fresh element to these bowls, but feel free to use store-bought salsa or pico de gallo (from the produce section) to save time.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1/2, sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, sliced
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Make southwestern spice mix - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Combine coriander, paprika (portion for the spice mix), cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Combine with vinegar, mustard, honey and paprika (portion for the vinaigrette). Whisk while adding in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice, toss with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce - Chop lettuce.
- Chop avocados.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until browned on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Add bell peppers and onions and saute until chicken is cooked through and peppers are tender, ~3 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper and squeeze lime juice (portion for the chicken salad) over top.
- Finish the pico de gallo by stirring together tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos, cilantro and lime juice (portion for the pico). Season with some salt.
- Assemble salads by topping shredded lettuce with chicken and peppers, avocados and pico de gallo. Top with paprika vinaigrette and enjoy!
Served to a crowd. It was tasty and could be fixed just the way everyone wanted. Included some Fritos for nonpaleo guests.0 Helpful
Looked good and tasted good and was not hard to make. We had a tiny bit of cooked ground beef left, so including that was good.0 Helpful
Added ground turkey taco meat for added protein. Otherwise, great! Especially liked the pico.0 Helpful
Healthy Chipotle meal. Love that I can make my own pico de gallo with out raw onions (just sauteed them) and sans jalapeno.0 Helpful
Used the other half of the rotisserie chicken for this instead of chickpeas. Great spice mix.0 Helpful
Kids liked being able to assemble themselves.0 Helpful