Italian Wedding Soup
with turkey meatballs / mushrooms
This clean, vegetable-packed soup is a twist on a classic Cook Smarts recipe that was first featured back in December 2014. We think this refreshed version will be as much of a hit as the original.
- Turkey, ground and lean - 1 lb (sub any ground meat)
- Eggs - 1
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Celery - 2 stalks , chopped
- Swiss chard - 6 oz , leaves and stems chopped and separate
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Turkey meatballs (ingredients listed separately) - ~12
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Make meatballs - (Skip if meatballs were made ahead for Tuesday.) Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees. Mix ground turkey, eggs, Italian seasoning (portion for the meatballs) and salt. Brush or spray a sheet pan with some oil. Roll meatball mixture into small 1” / 2.5 cm wide meatballs and place onto sheet pan. Bake until just cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Swiss chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, carrots, celery and chard stems to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
Stir in mushrooms, tomato paste and Italian seasoning (portion for the soup) until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
Add stock and diced tomatoes (including liquid) and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
Add meatballs and chard leaves. Continue to simmer soup until meatballs are warmed through.
Move soup off heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy!