Slow-Cooker Lentil and Rice Stuffed Peppers
with fresh tomato and avocado salsa / chips
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lentils, cooked - 1 cup
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Bell peppers, large, any color - 4
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, chopped
- Green onions - 1 stalk, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Corn - If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave. If using canned corn, drain and rinse.
- Make rice and lentil filling - Chop garlic. Combine corn, garlic, lentils, rice, cumin, salt and paprika. Taste and season with some more salt and pepper, if needed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Slow-cook peppers - Slice stems off peppers and discard seeds and stem. Spoon rice and lentil filling into peppers, pressing down with the back of a spoon to fill the peppers as much as possible. Place peppers, cut-side up in the bowl of a slow cooker. (To help the peppers stay upright, you can ball up some foil and place it around the peppers.) Pour water around the peppers to 1" / 2.5cm deep. Cook until peppers are tender, high for 3 hours or low for 5. You can also place the peppers in a baking dish with water and bake them, covered with foil at 350F / 176C until the peppers are tender, 60 to 70 minutes.
- When peppers are nearly finished cooking, chop tomatoes, jalapenos, green onions and avocados. Toss with lime juice and season with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like it spicy.
- Serve peppers with sour cream on top. Enjoy with salsa and tortilla chips on the side.
We loved this. Baked in the oven and added a bit of cheese. So tasty!0 Helpful
We liked the veggie peppers. I made some sausages for my non-vegetarian eaters. 2nd time- used the instant pot. Cooked it for 10 minutes on high pressure and only made 2 peppers. Hard to get out of instant pot because was nearly falling apart. Still delicious!0 Helpful
I thought this was good, but I've decided that stuffed peppers are just not my favourite.0 Helpful
ground sirloin in place of chorizo0 Helpful
I like the idea of lentils and rice stuffing, but the flavor didn't meet my expectations- would experiment with the spices a little next time.0 Helpful
This was great. We cooked it in the oven and added cheese to the top for the last five minutes of baking. Thanks!0 Helpful