Tuna Orzo Salad
with olive tapenade dressing
This tuna orzo salad works for picnics and weeknight dinners. Instead of using a typical vinaigrette, we use flavorful olive tapenade to bring the ingredients together. You'll have enough tapenade for tomorrow night's dinner too!
- Olives - 1 cup, pitted ((kalamata or green both work))
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Capers - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp
- Anchovy paste (optional) - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Tuna - 1 lb, canned ((in water or oil is fine))
- Mayo or plain yogurt - 1/4 cup
- Artichokes - 1 can, quartered
- Cherry tomatoes - 1/2 pint, halved
- Olive tapenade - 1/2 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- Orzo - 1/2 lb
- Thyme - 4 sprigs, leaves of
- Lemon - 1, juice of
- Tuna - Drain and then mix with mayo or yogurt. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Artichokes / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Make tapenade - Combine olives, garlic, capers, Dijon, thyme, anchovy paste, and olive oil in a food processor. Puree until it breaks down. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt heavily (that water should taste like the ocean!) and add orzo. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- Mix orzo with tuna, artichokes, thyme, 1/2 cup (118 ml) of tapenade (save remainder for tomorrow night's dinner), and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with cherry tomatoes.
Delicious comfort food.0 Helpful
I really liked it! Only problem was that it got really watery. Maybe next time I will salt and drain the zucchini in advance. I don't normally like olives, but I ground them fine in the food processor and it was delicious!0 Helpful
Everyone raved about this in the reviews, but I thought it was just so-so. We used whole wheat orzo and yogurt -- maybe it would have been better with regular orzo and mayo? I did like how easy it was to throw together -- especially if you buy pre-quartered artichokes and pre-chopped olives!0 Helpful
This was fantastic and the leftovers were perfect for lunch the next day. I tried this when my husband was out of town, but I think without the artichoke hearts even he would like it.0 Helpful
The olive tapenade really makes the dish!0 Helpful
Can't wait to wow the pants off people when I bring this to a picnic!0 Helpful