Tuna Orzo Salad
with olive tapenade dressing
This tuna orzo salad works for picnics and weeknight dinners. Instead of using a typical vinaigrette, we use flavorful olive tapenade to bring the ingredients together. You'll have enough tapenade for tomorrow night's dinner too!
- Olives - 1 cup , pitted ((kalamata or green both work))
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Capers - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp
- Anchovy paste (optional) - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
Tuna Orzo Salad:
- Tuna - 1 lb , canned ((in water or oil is fine))
- Mayo or plain yogurt - 1/4 cup
- Artichokes - 1 can , quartered
- Cherry tomatoes - 1/2 pint , halved
- Olive tapenade - 1/2 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- Orzo - 1/2 lb
- Thyme - 4 sprigs , leaves of
- Lemon - 1 , juice of
- Tuna - Drain and then mix with mayo or yogurt. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Artichokes / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Make tapenade - Combine olives, garlic, capers, Dijon, thyme, anchovy paste, and olive oil in a food processor. Puree until it breaks down. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt heavily (that water should taste like the ocean!) and add orzo. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- Mix orzo with tuna, artichokes, thyme, 1/2 cup (118 ml) of tapenade (save remainder for tomorrow night's dinner), and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with cherry tomatoes.