Cheesy Eggplant and Marinara Subs
with Italian side salad
- Eggplants, Chinese or Japanese - 1 lb, sliced (sub Italian eggplant)
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 5 oz, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Hoagie rolls - 4 (sub any Italian-style roll)
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped (sub butterhead)
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, chopped
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Mayonnaise - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Eggplant - Slice eggplant (you can peel the eggplant first if you’d like) and set out on sheet pan. Sprinkle on both sides with some salt (this will help to draw out extra moisture) and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Garlic / Mozzarella Cheese - Prep as directed.
- Olives - Drain and rinse olives.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler (low setting if possible) and place a rack about 8” / 20cm beneath the heat source.
- Slide the sheet pan with eggplant slices under the broiler. Broil, flipping halfway through cooking, until eggplant is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove eggplant slices from the pan and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, basil and oregano (portion for the subs) to heated oil. Cook just until fragrant, ~1 minute. Pour crushed tomatoes over top and bring to a simmer.
- Remove sauce from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice open hoagie rolls and lay out flat, cut-side up onto the sheet pan used for the eggplant. Broil just until starting to turn golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide eggplant slices and sauce between rolls. Top with mozzarella. Return to broiler and continue cooking until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and oregano (portion for the salad). Add olive oil while whisking. Top with tomatoes, lettuce and black olives. Toss to combine.
- Serve eggplant subs with salad on the side. Enjoy!
The meatballs were so good but it was messy and challenging to eat as a sub. The salad was disappointing for us.0 Helpful
I ended up buying remade meatballs to save time. This was a great simple meal0 Helpful
Toddler said this was her favorite meal ever. She mostly just ate the bread but I call it a win.0 Helpful
A lot quicker than I thought it would be. I didn’t have milk so I added some broth instead. Whole family loved it!0 Helpful
Simple meal - great for on the go. I'm torn about the broiler to toast the bread first because the second round in the broiler got the bread too burned and the cheese was barely melted. I used jarred marinara for this.0 Helpful
Very good and easy. My rolls became so soggy I had to cut and eat with a fork.0 Helpful