Weeknight Tofu Stir-Fry
with carrots / mushrooms / celery
Weeknight Tofu Stir-Fry:
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.25cm cubes
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 1/2 cups
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Carrots - 8 oz , thinly sliced
- Celery - 2 stalks , sliced at a bias
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Green onions - 4 stalks , green and white parts chopped and separate
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then chop into 0.5” / 1.25 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Chop garlic. Mix garlic with soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and stock. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Celery - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store mushrooms and white and green parts of green onions separately.
- Toss tofu with first part of cornstarch.
- Heat a nonstick pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then tofu to heated oil. Saute until tofu is golden brown on all sides, 7 to 8 minutes total.
- Return pan to heat and then add second part of cooking oil. Add white parts of green onions, carrots and celery to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~8 minutes, until carrots are tender but still crunchy. If the pan ever looks too dry and ingredients may burn, add a splash of water or chicken stock.
- Whisk together second part of cornstarch and water.
- Add mushrooms and tofu to vegetables in the wok. Push all ingredients to the sides forming a hole in the middle. Pour stir-fry sauce and cornstarch / water mixture into hole. Wait for it to bubble and darken before tossing everything through and making sure all the ingredients are coated in the sauce.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lime juice over top.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Remember to reserve half for Wednesday.)
- Serve stir-fry over rice with green parts of green onions and some hot sauce (if you’d like) on top. Enjoy!