Weeknight Chicken Stir-Fry
with cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head , florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
Weeknight Chicken Stir-Fry:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 4 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Carrots - 8 oz , thinly sliced
- Celery - 2 stalks , sliced at a bias
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Green onions - 4 stalks , green and white parts chopped and separate
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb (sub chicken breasts)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 2 tsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Cauliflower rice - Double if making Wednesday night's night's dinner. Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Chop garlic. Mix garlic with aminos, rice vinegar, honey and stock. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Celery - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store mushrooms and white and green parts of green onions separately.
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes and remove chicken from pan and set aside (don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be cooked all the way yet).
- Return wok to heat and then add second part of cooking oil. Add white parts of green onions, carrots and celery to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~8 minutes, until carrots are tender but still crunchy. If the pan ever looks too dry and ingredients may burn, add a splash of water or chicken stock.
- Whisk together arrowroot powder and water.
- Add mushrooms and chicken to vegetables in the wok. Push all ingredients to the sides forming a hole in the middle. Pour stir-fry sauce and arrowroot / water mixture into hole. Wait for it to bubble and darken before tossing everything through and making sure all the ingredients are coated in the sauce.
- Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lime juice over top.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Remember to reserve half for Wednesday.)
- Serve stir-fry over cauliflower rice with green parts of green onions and some hot sauce (if you’d like) on top. Enjoy!