with zucchini / bell peppers / cheese / tortilla chips
This flavorful, satisfying soup has all the great flavors of tacos in a lighter dish. We couldn't resist topping the soup with taco favorites though, so finish your bowls with cheese, sour cream and crumbled tortilla chips for crunch.
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Shallots - 3 cloves
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Zucchini - 10 oz , diced
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Green chilies, diced (4 oz / 113 g) (opt) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cheese, any shredded white blend - 2 oz
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 4 Tbsp
- Tortilla chips - 1 cup
- Bell peppers / Carrots / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers, carrots and shallots. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Combine cumin, salt, garlic powder, coriander and paprika. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Corn / Beans - Drain and rinse (if using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave first).
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then bell peppers, carrots and shallots. Cook until translucent and aromatic, 4 to 5 minutes. Add spice mix (remember to reserve half if doubled for Thursday) and garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- To vegetables, add tomatoes (including liquid), zucchini, green chilis and stock. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until zucchini is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While soup simmers, chop cilantro.
- To soup, add corn and beans and continue cooking just until heated through. Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Set out cilantro, cheese, yogurt and tortilla chips at the table so that everyone can add toppings to their soup.