with beef / cheese / tortilla chips
Smarts: Cook a double batch of seasoned ground beef in the first two steps of this recipe to have leftovers for Thursday's meal. Just remember to reserve half the beef (Make step #1) before continuing with tonight's soup.
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Shallots - 3 cloves
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Green chilies, diced (4 oz / 113 g) (opt) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cheese, any shredded white blend - 2 oz
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 4 Tbsp
- Tortilla chips - 1 cup
- Cumin - 4 tsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Beef, ground and lean - 2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots / Shallots/ Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and shallots. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Combine cumin, salt, garlic powder, coriander, paprika and chili powder. Stir into ground beef. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Corn - If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave first. If using fresh, slice kernels off cobs.
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for the beef) and then seasoned beef. Saute, breaking apart with a spoon, until beef is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Divide the cooked ground beef mixture in half. Return the pan to medium-high heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (portion for the soup) and then carrots and shallots. Cook until translucent and aromatic, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add the portion of the beef for tonight's meal (reserve the other half for Thursday), tomatoes (including liquid), green chilis and stock. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While soup simmers, chop cilantro.
- To soup, add corn and continue cooking just until heated through. Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Set out cilantro, cheese, yogurt and tortilla chips at the table so that everyone can add toppings to their soup.
So so so delicious. I listened to the reviews and added corn and black beans and potatoes. I added more water than recommended because the soup looked very chunky and in need of more liquid. Perfection 😀0 Helpful
Yum!!! I used ground turkey instead of beef and added a can of ranch style beans. Definitely will be making this one again!0 Helpful
This is pretty darn good. I think a tad more flavor is needed but over all it’s great.0 Helpful
Made a double batch to have on hand for lunches. Wonderful flavors!0 Helpful
This was soo good!! My husband and I just loved this soup! And so simple and fast to make! We have a very busy little one, so quick yummy meals are what I am looking for while trying to keep up with him! This one fit the bill! Definitely going to make this again!0 Helpful
Loved it! Used half a white onion because store had no shallots and used no cumin because I realized too late that I had none in the pantry. Easy and tasty!0 Helpful