with beef / cheese / tortilla chips
This flavorful, satisfying soup has all the great flavors of beef tacos in a lighter dish. We couldn't resist topping the soup with taco favorites though, so finish your bowls with cheese, sour cream and crumbled tortilla chips for crunch.
Smarts: Cook a double batch of seasoned ground beef in the first two steps of this recipe to have leftovers for Thursday's meal. Just remember to reserve half the beef (Make step #1) before continuing with tonight's soup.
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Shallots - 3 cloves
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Green chilies, diced (4 oz / 113 g) (opt) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cheese, any shredded white blend - 2 oz
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 4 Tbsp
- Tortilla chips - 1 cup
- Cumin - 4 tsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Beef, ground and lean - 2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots / Shallots/ Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and shallots. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Combine cumin, salt, garlic powder, coriander, paprika and chili powder. Stir into ground beef. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Corn - If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave first. If using fresh, slice kernels off cobs.
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for the beef) and then seasoned beef. Saute, breaking apart with a spoon, until beef is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Divide the cooked ground beef mixture in half. Return the pan to medium-high heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (portion for the soup) and then carrots and shallots. Cook until translucent and aromatic, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add the portion of the beef for tonight's meal (reserve the other half for Thursday), tomatoes (including liquid), green chilis and stock. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While soup simmers, chop cilantro.
- To soup, add corn and continue cooking just until heated through. Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Set out cilantro, cheese, yogurt and tortilla chips at the table so that everyone can add toppings to their soup.
Loved it! Used half a white onion because store had no shallots and used no cumin because I realized too late that I had none in the pantry. Easy and tasty!0 Helpful
A perfect and easy Whole30 meal. I added extra carrots and two peppers instead of one and topped it with cilantro, green onions, avocado, and fresh salsa. So, so delicious!0 Helpful
Carrots aren't soft unless you cook this longer. I didn't like crunchy carrots in my soup0 Helpful
Love love love it! This is the first Cook Smart meal I made! I used chicken breast off a Rotisseire Chicken instead of the ground beef, and also added black beans and added in avacado with the cilantro!0 Helpful
Used extra carrots and zucchini and kept the bell peppers raw on top.0 Helpful
Substituted soy grounds for ground beef0 Helpful